Pet Insurance – the ins and outs and what we can help you with.
Firstly there are several options in companies to choose from as well as policy depth of coverage. Most include a 6 week free trial. I will post information on 4 companies that have been used by our clients, or are commonly asked about. Mainly I have supplied links to their sites and copied some good information direct from the websites.
- Petsecure: http://www.petsecure.com/
What does pet insurance cover?
You can choose different types and levels of coverage to suit your needs and budget.
Typically, Petsecure covers:
- All ages and all breeds of cats and dogs
- 80% of your veterinary fees
- Medical conditions arising from accidents
- Available coverage for dental, alternative and preventive care
What else to look for
Did you know you’re 40% more likely to get your pet’s teeth cleaned if you have pet insurance that covers it? You may not realize that pet medical studies have shown that pets who have proper dental care are healthier than those who don’t. With all our Secure For Life™ plans there is annual preventive dental care included. You can use your dental coverage for an annual cleaning or problems with your pet’s teeth and/or gums.
Veterinarians, breeders and animal health specialists all believe that routine wellness care for dogs and cats is a pivotal part of responsible pet parenting. It’s something that needs to be done and creates a foundation for the health and quality of life of your pet. For those who want to ensure everything is covered, we’ve designed Petsecure’s Secure 4, which incorporates comprehensive annual wellness care.
What level of coverage is right for you?
Minimized list…Full list available at link – http://www.petsecure.com/plans/help-me-choose
Choose secure 1 if:
- You are looking for a small safety net and are prepared to pay out-of-pocket for more serious conditions that may exceed your coverage.
- You can handle the expense of the basic annual Preventive Care. What you need is protection for unexpected veterinary fees for treatments related to an illness or accident.
Choose secure 2 if:
- You want a moderate amount of coverage but are prepared to cover additional treatments if you reach your coverage limits, but you like to keep your premiums low too.
- You will cover out of pocket all preventative and wellness testing.
Choose secure 3 if:
- You are looking for top-of-the-line coverage with ample coverage for accidents and illness, but can budget for the costs of preventive care or wellness testing on your own.
Choose secure 4 if:
- You want everything covered from preventative care, wellness testing and accidentals.
- Highest level of coverage.
- Preventive care and annual wellness treatments are covered by your pet insurance plan.
What is the cost of coverage is there a deductible?
- The cost depends on what plan coverage you choose. You can ask for a quote on line, or you can call for a quote at 1.800.268.1169
- Deductibles are paid on the initial claim, if there are more claims within that year there is no deductible. It will reset at the beginning of the next year, and be payable
- There is a glossary of terms on the site at this link - http://www.petsecure.com/toolkit/pet-insurance-glossary
How do I make my claims?
- If you need to, you can pre submit a quote to see what portion will be covered?
- If you know you have coverage, you simply bring the claim form to your Veterinary Service when you have the work done. Where they will fill out the portion of the claim form they are responsible for and attach the billing information.
- Link – http://www.petsecure.com/members/claim-center
Have our clients been happy with Petsecure?
- Yes, we have seen clients use Petsecure at the following levels: for medical testing from 50-500$, for preventative or wellness like dental COHAT for 300-400$, accidental coverage for cruciate repair surgery for 3000-4000$. We often ask if they have been happy with the insurance. Most often the response is very impressed with the coverage.
2. Pets Plus Us:
- Underwriting up front, so you always know what’s covered and what’s not
- Valuable products and services called Blue Ribbon Benefits that include free access to PetHelpFone™, Pet Poison Helpline®, a pet registry service and a subscription to Modern Dog or Modern Cat magazine
- Our 4Life Guarantee – we guarantee we won’t cancel insurance coverage as long as your premiums are up-to-date. Plus, we don’t increase premiums for making claims or when your pet ages
- Coverage for alternative therapies such as hydrotherapy, homeopathy, chiropractic care and other treatments, when referred by a veterinarian
If you have any questions, you can call and speak to a Pets Plus Us Advocate at 1.844.584.9457
Have our clients been happy with Pets Plus Us?
- To date we have only had clients sign on for the free 6 week trial, partially because it is a newer company. They are well underwritten however and should be a reliable service.
- I put in information for a quote and it was quickly received, with options for 4 types of plans with options for increasing or decreasing deductibles and co-payments so you can tweak your plan your way! Was very user friendly!
3. Trupanion pet insurance: https://trupanion.com/canada/ppc/homepage?gclid=CIXO08Hn98ACFcRcMgoduGIAeQ
What does pet insurance cover?
We cover 90% of actual veterinary costs.
Injuries and illnesses, hereditary and congenital conditions, diagnostic tests, surgeries, medications, hospital stays, and veterinary supplements.
No dollar limits on the cost of care if your pet becomes sick or injured
Comparison chart as per Trupanion of available plans. – http://trupanion.com/canada/pet-insurance-comparison/compare-chart
Top 3 reasons to choose Trupanion (As per website)
Choosing the right pet insurance provider and policy can be a daunting (and sometimes confusing) task. Start here to see how we compare to our competitors.
One simple plan – Pet health insurance can get pretty complicated when you have to sort through several plans and levels. At Trupanion, we want to make pet insurance simple and easy to understand. Our comprehensive policy covers surgeries, diagnostic tests, medications, treatments and hospital stays if your pet gets sick or injured. We also reimburse from your actual veterinary bill so you don’t have to worry about a predetermined benefit schedule.
90% coverage* – Trupanion covers 90% of actual veterinary costs for approved accident and illness claims, less the exam fee, taxes, and optional deductible. Full 90% coverage is available at any veterinary hospital, emergency care center or specialty hospital.
No payout limit – With Trupanion, your pet receives unlimited lifetime healthcare coverage. Trupanion does not impose any per incident limits, annual limits, or lifetime limits on the amount of care your pet can receive.
Have our clients been happy with Trupanion?
One of our team member’s has this coverage and is happy with it. She only has the accidental coverage, but over the potential lifespan of her pet, any serious injury will make the premium pay for itself.
- PC Pet Insurance:
- Coverage for all breeds and ages of dogs and cats
- 4 affordable plans that fit your budget
- Monthly cost starts at just $9.95 for cats and $10.95 for dogs1
- Earn PC points toward free groceries* when you pay for your premiums with your President’s Choice Financial® MasterCard
- No set -up fee to start your policy
- Pets of any age are eligible
- Get back up to 80% of covered veterinary costs minus any applicable deductible on all plans
- Emergency boarding fees for your pet if you are hospitalized for more than 2 days
- Compensation if you cancel your holiday because your pet is hospitalized for a covered and critical condition
- Advertising and reward costs if your pet is lost
Making a claim
Have our clients been happy with – PC Pet Insurance?
At this time we do not have any clients using PC Pet Insurance.
In Conclusion the choice is yours, and no plan is the perfect fit for every pet family, however, with the options available there can be some very comforting and cost effective choices beneficial to your pet’s health.
I hope you find this helpful. I know even as an employee of the vet clinic in hindsight, certain plans could have benefited my own pets over the years. Please note; the only benefit the clinic receives is the ability to not only offer best prevention/treatment options, but be able to provide them to your pet, with less of a financial burden to the pet’s owner/family.
Please call if you have any questions, we may be able to assist you, or at least lead you in a direction that will help.
Your friends at the Mississippi Veterinary Services in Pakenham.