Well it is October, and for a lot of us it means the last of a 6 or 12 month run of dewormer and/or heartworm preventative has been used! For our clients who choose to deworm year round call ahead or stop in to pick up the next 6 month or 12 month pack. Numerous clients are finding this a worse flea and tick year than we have had in some time!
A few quick facts;
- The product can be in a pill, or topical (on the skin) form.
- You can pick different parasite options as well, depending on your pet’s likelihood of coming in contact with and spreading these parasites.
- Please remember all pets have a least 1 to 2 types of intestinal parasites when born, usually round and hook worms. They also re- infect by eating mice, stools and grooming one another.
- Remember the monthly products do not cover coccidian like Isospora or Giardia.
Remember when and how to properly apply products.
- You can deworm for intestinal parasites, heartworm and fleas as much as monthly year round.
- Some owners deworm quarterly only.
- Heart worm treatments should last the entire mosquito season and is a must for travelers.
- Flea treatments can be preventative or as problems arise. (note must treat for a min of 3 months when fleas are in a household)
- Tick treatments are for Canines (dogs) only. They are commonly applied May-November.